Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Great Companions Think Alike


We woke up and got dressed and went out of the house basically dressed
the same...great companions think alike:)

On Tuesday this week I made banana bread and we brought it to some of the less-active members of the ward. Only one of them answered the door, but we left the rest on their door steps. The next day one sister called us and said she was grateful for the bread and that she was going to come to church this Sunday, and she totally did! That was really cool, because we've been trying to get in contact with her FOREVER, and I was finally able to meet her at church which was great. 
We also got a sweet referral from a member in the ward who's house we were at for dinner. She said she knows this really neat lady who is pretty interested in the gospel and they have talked about the church a lot. We invited her to get in contact with her friend to set up a time when we could meet with her and her friend for the missionary discussions. I really hope and pray she actually does. I know it can be scary, but it's so true, our only success really does come through the members.

More of the matching day photo shoot.
Friday night we got really sad news though. The amazing assistant ward mission leader passed away suddenly. We were so shocked that we had to listen to the message twice. He was such an incredible man and was probably only in his early 70's if that. In fact we had just talked to him the other day about helping re-activate his son who just moved into the ward. I feel so privileged to have gotten to know that great great man, Brother R, for a few weeks. I know it was inspired that I was able to come here and be with him for a short time. In ward counsel we talked about some really incredible things about him. The previous ward mission leader told us that he had come to him with a few things he felt needed to be worked on, and said "if I'm not at ward counsel next week share it"... He wanted us to know that we needed to find a way to integrate missionary work and family history work together, to help a Spanish man in the ward be able to have the same privileges of learning the gospel and not let language ever be a barrier. And to work on bringing the other ministers in the area together and having the LDS church be part of their group. The guy that told us all of this stuff also said that Brother R saw Lehi's vision only about a week ago and this man was privileged to hear of that experience before his passing. This same man also was interviewing people about the history of Cranberry and was able to interview Brother R a week before he died and was then able to share that interview with his testimony in it to his family. It's crazy though, because it's like he knew his time was coming and that he had certain things he was working  so hard on before he passed away. It's incredible to think that he is now with his wife who passed away about two years ago. 
The funeral is going to be big though, because of all the lives he was able to touch. I will be forever grateful that I was able to get to know him for such a short time and feel of his sweet grandpa spirit:)

Saturday we went to the ranch like usual and it was really hard work. There is this huge indoor arena for the horses and they wanted to put sand on the floor to cushion the horses joints as they walk/run around. So I thought ya this will be fun and easy.... boy was I wrong. The arena is about the size of a small soccer/lax field and we were spreading the sand over one half of it and had to make it four inches deep. Dan, one of the missionaries from another church, drove a huge thing of sand in with a tractor and we spread it out in that area. It took five hours and after that I could have just laid down forever. I was tired and really sore. But it was good because I have like no muscle so by the time I'm done working on the ranch I'll be super buff:) haha 

We went to a ward member's house for lunch on Sunday and they taught us
how to make sushi!! It was really fun, and really gooood :)
Sunday was such a great day! President Johnson and his wife came and they always make my day better! The talks were also really good and really stuck out to me. Sister M spoke about obedience and how when Jesus Christ was suffering on the cross He prayed and said, "if it be thy will let this cup pass from me" and Heavenly Father, being the Loving father He is, let him exercise his agency, but he didn't leave him comfortless. He sent an angel to comfort him. I really do know the Lord sends me angels daily to help me and comfort me.  Sister M's son, who just got back from his mission, talked about patience and said a quote from Preach My Gospel that I love, it says,  "Patience is the capacity to endure delay, trouble, opposition, or suffering without becoming angry, frustrated, or anxious. It is the ability to do God's will and accept His timing. When you are patient, you hold up under pressure and are able to face adversity calmly and hopefully. Patience is related to hope and faith- you must wait for the Lord's promised blessings to be fulfilled." That really stuck out to me. I know I need to have more patience in the Lord's will and instead of asking him to take hard things away from me, ask Him to strengthen me as I exercise faith in Him.

Well I love you all and I hope you are happy and well!
I pray for you always❤
Love Sister Douglas aka Raquel







More of sushi making Sunday! Hoping she remembers how to make it when she gets home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment